Skip to main content

Birdlip Primary School: SEN Information Report

January 2019

At Birdlip Primary School (BPS) all children and young people with SEND are valued and respected as equal members of the school community.

Provision for pupils with SEND is a matter for the whole school and all members of staff.

The four areas of need which we provide for are:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health
  • Sensory or physical

Who can I talk to about SEND?

The first person to talk to is your child’s class teacher or, if you prefer, the class teaching assistant.

You may also wish to talk to Mr Metcalf – the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator, Mrs Jowett-Moore –SEND administrator or to Mrs Wilson-Copp, the school’s designated SEND Governor.

Other Support Agencies:

Sometimes we may seek guidance from other agencies who can provide help and support for your child. These include:

  • Advisory Teaching Service
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Behaviour Support Team
  • Speech and language therapist
  • Paediatrician
  • Occupational Therapy
  • School nurse

We will always ask for your permission for any referrals made.

If SEND is identified – first steps:

If we think that your child could possibly have special educational needs we will:

  • Talk and listen to you
  • Involve your child
  • Provide appropriate support
  • Monitor your child
  • Involve other professionals if necessary
  • Communicate regularly with you

How BPS teaches and supports children with SEND:

We begin by offering your child teaching at an appropriate level for your child, we use appropriate materials and plan extra support in class. Consultation occurs between all parties.

My Plan

If we assess your child to have SEND they will receive appropriate support and, together with the child and parent, teachers will set short term targets and create a My Plan document showing specific interventions and support arrangements.

My Plan+

Your child will continue to receive the support of a My Plan and, in addition, the school will receive advice from other professionals or agencies.

Education, Health and Care Plan

A small number of children may have complex SEND requirements which may need significantly higher levels of support. If this is the case, the SENCO will make a request to the Local Authority to undertake a full assessment of the child’s needs. The LA will then draw up an EHC plan which will provide a high level of additional support and be subject to annual review. An EHC plan replaces what was previously known as a Statement of Need.

It is important to stress that parent/carers and teaching staff, as well as outside agencies, are involved in every step of the planning of provision for each child.

It may be appropriate to use additional targeted intervention to help your child. This could involve 1:1 support with a TA or teacher or it may come in the form of another specific intervention:

  • Rapid Maths
  • Fab Phonics – literacy
  • Nurture Group
  • Drawing and Talking – emotional well being
  • Speech and language support

What Happens When I Move Schools?

When children move into BPS, we always liaise with their previous school and find out as much as possible to make sure transition is smooth. This will include transferring previous progress data and records.

Parents/carers may like to visit BPS to see what it is like in advance of their child joining. Visits can be arranged through the school office. (01452 862331)

If your child leaves BPS a similar system will occur in liaison with their new school.

Can I look at BPS Policies?

All school policies are available for scrutiny on the school’s website or may be requested in hard copy.

Additional Information:

Local Authority Information

SENDIASS Gloucestershire

SENDIASS has a freephone telephone helpline 0800 158 3603 which is available Monday to Friday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm all year round. Callers who are using a mobile phone can dial 01452 389345 as an alternative.

Concerns and complaints:
Should parents have any cause for concern or complaint it should be directed to the class teacher, SENCO, Head teacher or any member of the Governors.